My research has been exploring the interface between phonology and phonetics focusing on a range of phonological phenomena (palatalization, assimilation, etc.) and their phonetic correlates or sources (coarticulation, misperception, etc.). I have worked with a number of languages (Russian, Komi-Permyak, Japanese, Kannada, Korean) and employed various experimental methods, including articulography, electropalatography, ultrasound, acoustic analysis, and perceptual experiments.
Selected recent publications:
- Alderete, John & Alexei Kochetov. (in press). Integrating sound symbolism with core grammar: The case of expressive palatalization. Language, 53 pp.
- Pouplier, Marianne, Stefania Marin, Philip Hoole, & Alexei Kochetov. 2017. Speech rate effects in Russian onset clusters are modulated by frequency, but not auditory cue robustness. Journal of Phonetics, 30 pp.
- Kochetov, Alexei. 2017. Acoustics of Russian voiceless sibilant fricatives. Journal of International Phonetic Association. 1–28.
- Kochetov, Alexei & Yoonjung Kang. 2017. Supralaryngeal implementation of length and laryngeal contrasts in Japanese and Korean. Canadian Journal of Linguistics/Revue canadienne de linguistique, 62(1): 1–38.
- Kochetov, Alexei. 2016. Palatalization and glide strengthening as competing repair strategies: Evidence from Kirundi. Glossa: a journal of general linguistics 1(1), 14. 1–31.
- Kochetov, Alexei & N. Sreedevi. 2016. Articulation and acoustics of Kannada affricates: A case of geminate /ʧ/. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 30(3-5). 202-226.
- Howson, Phil, Alexei Kochetov, & Pascal van Lieshout. 2015. Examination of the grooving patterns of the Czech trill-fricative. Journal of Phonetics, 49. 117-129.
- Kochetov, Alexei.. 2014. Voicing and tongue-palate contact differences in Japanese obstruents. Journal of the Phonetic Society of Japan, 18. 63-76.
- Kochetov, Alexei, N. Sreedevi, Midula Kasim, & R. Manjula. 2014. Spatial and dynamic aspects of retroflex production: An ultrasound and EMA study of Kannada geminate stops. Journal of Phonetics, 46. 11-42.
- Kochetov, Alexei, N. Sreedevi, Midula Kasim, & R. Manjula. 2012. A pilot ultrasound study of Kannada lingual articulations. Journal of Indian Speech and Hearing Association, 26. 38-49.
- Colantoni, Laura & 2012. Nasal variability and speech style: An EPG study of coda nasals in two Spanish dialects. Italian Journal of Linguistics, 24. 11-42 .
- Kochetov, Alexei & John Alderete. 2011. Scales and patterns of expressive palatalization: Experimental evidence from Japanese, Canadian Journal of Linguistics, 56. 345-376.
- Kochetov, Alexei & Laura Colantoni. 2011. Coronal place contrasts in Argentine and Cuban Spanish: An electropalatographic study, Journal of International Phonetic Association, 26. 38-49.
- Kochetov, Alexei & Laura Colantoni. 2011. Spanish nasal assimilation revisited: A cross-dialect electropalatographic study, Journal of Laboratory Phonology, 24. 11-42.
I am the Director of the Phonetics Lab, which is located on the ground floor of Sidney Smith. The lab is equipped with state-of-the-art hardware and software for audio recording, acoustic analysis, articulatory data collection (electropalatography, ultrasound, electroglottography, electromagnetic articulography), and perceptual experiments.
Since 2007, I have taught a range of undergraduate and graduate courses, mainly in phonetics and phonology, but also in historical linguistics and general linguistics. Here are some of the courses:
- LIN100 Introduction to Linguistics
- TBB199 Analyzing speech sounds
- LIN228 Phonetics
- LIN229 Sound Patterns
- LIN362/1162 Historical Linguistics
- LIN423/1127 Phonetic Analysis
- LIN1211 Advanced Phonetics (graduate)
- LIN1224 Advanced Phonology (graduate)
- Dr. Alexei Kochetov
- Department of Linguistics, University of Toronto
- 100 St. George Street, Rm. 4076,
- Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G3, Canada
- E-mail: al.kochetov<at>utoronto.ca, Phone: 416-946-3808