ANALYSIS OF BLUE DRESS
1. DESCRIPTION : substantial analysis
|1. I MATERIAL|
Probably ACETATE (fiber identification with burning test).
Generic name of fabric: TAFFETA. A plain wave with more warp that weft which results in a firm, smooth fabric with a very fine crosswise rib.
Collar Interfacing: cotton or linen plain weave.
Pocket Decoration: rhinestones and some kind of passemanterie cord.
|1. II CONSTRUCTION|
|Parts or Components|
with raglan sleeves and Skirt
Pointed collar and wing cuffs
Side pockets with flaps. Pocket are sewn into the side seams
Decoration or buttons on the cuffs (missing)
10 Fabric covered buttons
|Flower decoration on pocket's flap|
Button holes are diagonal
Side seam cut on salvage
|Waist seam has a ribbon but it is not binded||Centre back of skirt cut with pink shears|
Back has two neck darts and two back darts
Front has two bust darts
The bodice and the sleeves were cut in one piece; there are no armholes. The sleeves are 3/4 long.
Similar to a coat dress.
The patterns require a lot of fabric.
Decoration was applied by hand.
The ribbon on the hemline have been applied by hand, probably after have been purchased and worn.
Hem line neaten with a ribbon
1. III MEASUREMENTS
1. DESCRIPTION: Formal Analysis
1. I OBJECT'S FORM or CONFIGURATION The skirt is circular (1/4 of a circle). The bodice, sleeves and pockets have also circular shapes. The cuffs, pockets flaps and cuffs have triangular shapes.
1. II VISUAL CHARACTER There is not a lot of contrast between the white decoration on the pockets and the blue taffeta.
1. III OBJECT/BODY The taffeta drapes well and fits loose at the bodice and skirt, and fits close to the body at the waist.
1. IV COLOUR/TEXTURE Ultramarine blue and white. Shiny and soft but crispy texture.
1. V RHYTHM (patterns of distribution) Balance between circular and triangular shapes and between white and deep blue colours.