I completed my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering at the University of Waterloo in 2009. During the course of my bachelor's program I completed an exchange program to the Technical University of Braunschweig in Germany. To supplement my experiences abroad, I also received a minor in Germanic Studies and a degree option of International Studies in Engineering.
In 2010, I joined the Centre for Advanced Materials Joining at Waterloo and completed my Master's degree under the supervision of Professor Norman Zhou. My thesis work focussed on studying the effects of laser processing on the thermomechanical response of nickel-titanium shape memory alloys. An electronic copy of my thesis is available here. During my Master's, I was also involved in performing research for a startup company founded within our lab.
In September 2012, I joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Toronto for my PhD, under the supervision of Professors Chandra Veer Singh and Glenn D. Hibbard. In my research, I use both experimental and computational tools to investigate deformation mechanisms in novel materials. During my graduate studies I have gained experience with a wide range of advanced materials characterization techniques as well as computational materials science tools. My earlier work was focussed on the thermomechanical behaviour of shape memory alloys. Currently, I'm investigating the novel mechanics of 2D and nanocrystalline multilayer materials. A list of my journal publications as well as my current CV are available in the appropriate tabs above. My google scholar profile is linked here.
10. Sun, H.*, Mukherjee, S.*, Daly, M., Krishnan, A., Karigerasi, M. H., Singh, C. V. (2016) " New Insights into the Structure-Nonlinear Mechanical Property Relations for Graphene Allotropes ", Carbon, 110 443-457. doi:10.1016/j.carbon.2016.09.018
9. Daly, M.*, Cao, C.*, Sun, H., Sun, Y., Filleter, T., Singh, C. V. (2016) " Interfacial Shear Strength of Multilayer Graphene Oxide Films ", ACS Nano, 10, 1939-1947. doi:10.1021/acsnano.5b05771
8. Cao, C.*,Daly, M.*, Chen, B., Howe, J. Y., Singh, C. V., Filleter, T., Sun, Y. (2015) " Strengthening in Graphene Oxide Nanosheets: Bridging the Gap between Interplanar and Intraplanar Fracture ", Nano Letters, 15, 6528-6534. doi:10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b02173
7. Daly, M., McCrea, J. L., Bouwhuis, B. A., Singh, C. V., Hibbard, G. D. (2015) " Deformation behavior of a NiCo multilayer with a modulated grain size distribution ", Materials Science and Engineering: A, 641, 305-314. doi:10.1016/j.msea.2015.06.049
6. Daly, M., Reeve, M., Singh, C. V. (2015) " Effects of topological point reconstructions on the fracture strength and deformation mechanisms of graphene ", Computational Materials Science, 97 172-180. doi:10.1016/j.commatsci.2014.10.034
5. Cao, C.*, Daly, M.*, Singh, C. V., Sun, Y., Filleter, T. (2015) " High strength measurement of monolayer graphene oxide ", Carbon, 81 497-504. doi:10.1016/j.carbon.2014.09.082
4. Daly, M., Singh, C. V. (2014) " A kinematic study of energy barriers for crack formation in graphene tilt boundaries ", Journal of Applied Physics, 115 223513. doi:10.1063/1.4883190
3. Daly, M., Pequegnat, A., Zhou, Y. and Khan, M. I. (2013) " Fabrication of a novel laser processed NiTi shape memory microgripper with enhanced thermomechanical functionality ", Special Issue: Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 28 (8) 984-990. doi:10.1177/1045389X12444492
2. Pequegnat, A., Daly, M., Wang, J., Khan, M. I. and Zhou, Y. (2012) " Dynamic actuation of a novel laser processed NiTi linear actuator ", Special Issue: Smart Materials and Structures, 21 094004. doi:10.1088/0964-1726/21/9/094004
1. Daly, M., Pequegnat, A., Zhou, Y. and Khan, M. I. (2012) " Enhanced thermomechanical functionality of a laser processed hybrid NiTi-NiTiCu shape memory alloy ", Smart Materials and Structures, 21 045018. doi:10.1088/0964-1726/21/4/045018
* denotes equal contribution