Ciena Corporation, Ottawa, Canada
Part-time student, Carleton University
Ph.D., Universite Laval, Quebec City,
Novel Power Efficient
Master of Applied Science, University of Toronto, 2008~2010
- Research-based Thesis: All-optical wavelength conversion in Aluminum Gallium Arsenide waveguides at telecommunications wavelengths (Advisors: Li Qian, Stewart Aitchison)
Bachelor of Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Industrial Work Experience
System Engineer at Ciena, Ottawa, Canada, February 2015~present
(data-driven) predictive modelling
Working student in Siemens AG, Germany (Bernd Kretzschmar’s group):
Testing the new version of the Siemens PCS7, December 2006~ August 2007
Matlab (for my current job; object oriented programming), C++, Python, R, SAS, Linux
Data Science / Statistical Analysis (2015~present)
· Basic data mining techniques: data visualization, dimensionality reduction, data reduction, unsupervised/supervised learning (Apriori algorithm, k-means clustering, k-nearest neighbours algorithm, neural networks, logistic regression, LDA, QDA etc.);
· Implementation of deep neural networks (backpropagation algorithm);
· Face recognition using principle component analysis and independent component analysis;
· Sufficient foundation in statistics (from my Masters degree)
· Currently participating in IBM Xprize, with a civil-engineering team called Sensequake situated in Montreal, Canada, responsible for processing large amount of measurement captured from sensors from various buildings in downtown Montreal, in an attempt to automate analysis and evaluation of the structural safety of buildings using artificial intelligence (AI) technology.
Digital Signal Processing and Modeling (2010~present):
· Kalman filter, which made up one of the chapters in my PhD thesis;
· 5-year experience in implementing coherent detection system: capturing data from sampling scope, timing phase estimation (both time domain and frequency domain), frequency domain re-sampling, equalization of channel impairment such as MMSE-based pre-compensation, polarization mode dispersion (via LMS algorithm), frequency-domain chromatic dispersion, frequency-offset and phase-noise tracking and compensation;
· All algorithms in a standard DSP textbook: John G. Proakis, Dimitris K Manolakis, Digital Signal Processing: Principles, Algorithms and Applications, 3rd Edition;
· All algorithms in a standard statistical signal processing textbook: Steven Kay, Fundamentals of Statistical Processing, Volume I: Estimation Theory, 1993;
· Implementation of non-Gaussian model (also called EGN) as nonlinear noise estimators (without sequential for-loops) for optical coherent communications;
· Split-step Fourier Method for fiber channel modelling;
· Laser phase noise modelling (generation of Brownian and filtered Brownian motion);
· Laser characterization using both coherent receiver and frequency discriminator;
· Noise measurement based on power spectral density (PSD) of frequency noise, phase noise and field.
· Monte Carlo simulation (bit-error counting) on transmission for single-carrier optical coherent communication system.
· Matlab implementation of polarimetry, Jones-Stokes transformation, Poincare sphere;
· Statistical analysis, considered as my personal strength and interest;
· Real-time laboratory demonstration (visualization with Matlab interface) of Kalman-filter-based timing-phase recovery during Huawei inc. visit in 2014 at Universite Laval ,Quebec
· 6-year hands-on practice and instrumentation control on various equipments such as real-time sampling oscilloscopes, electrical/optical spectrum analysis, lock-in amplifiers, WDM laser sources, EDFAs, variable attenuators, polarization synthesizer and analyzer with National Instruments interfaces;
· 6-year hands-on optical fiber experiment
· 2-year hands on free-space optics experiment (light coupling into waveguides, linear/nonlinear characterization: Fabry-Perot based waveguide linear loss characterization, waveguide design using Lumerical and RSoft (beam propagation method, finite element method, finite-difference time-domain method);
· Teaching assistants of 8 courses, mainly engaging in laboratory varying from electronic communications to optical communications;
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
A. T. Nguyen, W.-C. Ng, L. Nguyen, L. A. Rusch,
and L. Barry, "BER Performance of
Coherent Optical Communications Systems employing Monolithic Tunable Lasers
with Excess Phase Noise," IEEE J. Lightw.
Technol., Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 411 - 420 Feb. 2014.
2. W. C. Ng, A. T.
Nguyen, S. Ayotte, C. S. Park, and L. A. Rusch,
“Impact of Sinusoidal Tones on Parallel Decision-Directed Phase Recovery for
64-QAM, ” IEEE Photonics Letters
Technology, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 486 – 489, Mar. 2014.
3. W. C. Ng, A. T.
Nguyen, S. Ayotte, C. S. Park, and L. A. Rusch,
“Overcoming Phase Sensitivity in Real-time Parallel DSP for Optical Coherent
Communications: Optically Filtered
Lasers,” IEEE J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 32, No. 3,
pp. 411 - 420 Feb. 2014.
4. B. Filion, W. C. Ng, A.. T. Nguyen, L. A. Rusch and S. LaRochelle, “Wideband wavelength conversion of 16 Gbaud 16-QAM and 5 Gbaud 64-QAM signals in a semiconductor optical amplifier,” Optics Express, Vol. 21, Issue 17, pp. 19825-19833 (2013).
5. K. Dolgaleva, W. C. Ng, L. Qian, J. S. Aitchison, M. Carla Camasta
and Mark Sorel "Compact Highly-Nonlinear AlGaAs
Waveguides for Efficient Wavelength Conversion", Optics Express, Vol.
19, pp. 12440-12455 (2011).
6. K. Dolgaleva, W. C. Ng, L. Qian, J. S. Aitchison ,M. C. Camasta
and M. Sorel "Broadband Self-Phase Modulation, Cross-Phase Modulation,
and Four-Wave Mixing in 9-mm-long AlGaAs
Waveguides", Optics Letters, Vol.
35, Issue 24, pp. 4093-4095 (2010).
7. A. D. Simard, N. Ayotte, Y. Painchaud, S. Bédard, and S. LaRochelle, " Impact of Sidewall Roughness on Integrated Bragg Gratings ,” IEEE J. Lightw. Technol., vol. 29, no. 24, pp. 3693–3704, Dec. 2011. (Personal tutoring on random processes, methodology and on derivation for equations (15) – (26), Appendix A and Appendix B).
8. W. C. Ng, A. T. Nguyen, C. S. Park, and L. A. Rusch, “Enhancing Clock Tone via Polarization Pre-rotation: A Low-complexity, Extended Kalman Filter-based Approach,” Optical Fiber Communication Conference 2015, paper Th2A.19, March 2015.
9. W. C. Ng, A. T.
Nguyen, C. S. Park, and L. A. Rusch, “Reduction of
MIMO-FIR Taps via SOP-Estimation in Stokes Space for 100 Gbps
Short Reach Applications,” European Conference and Exhibition on Optical
Communication, P.3.3, September, 2014.
10. A. T. Nguyen, W. C. Ng, L.
A. Rusch, “ An Optimized 16-QAM Constellation for
Mitigating Impairments of Phase Noise and Limited Transmitter ENOB in Optical
Coherent Detection Systems, ” European Conference and Exhibition on Optical
Communication, Tu.1.3.5,September, 2014.
11. W. C. Ng, A. T.
Nguyen, S. Ayotte, C. S. Park, L. A. Rusch, “
Parallel and Pipelined Decision-Directed Phase Recovery for 64-QAM in the
Presence of Sinusoidal Tones, ” Optical Fiber Communication Conference 2014,
M2A.4, March, 2014.
12. B. Filion , W. C. Ng , An T. Nguyen , L.A. Rusch and S. LaRochelle
, “ Wideband Wavelength Conversion of 5 Gbaud
64-QAM Signals in a Semiconductor Optical Amplifier, ” European Conference
and Exhibition on Optical Communication, P.3.19, September, 2013.
13. W. C. Ng, T. N.
Huynh, A. T. Nguyen, S. Ayotte, C. S. Park, L. P. Barry and L. A. Rusch,
“Improvement due to Optically Filtered Lasers in Parallel Decision-Directed
Phase Recovery for 16-QAM, ” The 10th Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics
Pacific Rim, and The 18th OptoElectronics and
communications Conference / Photonics in Switching 2013 - OECC/PS, WR3-2,
14. T. Huynh, W. C. Ng, A. T.
Nguyen, L. Nguyen, L. Rusch, and L.Barry, “Tracking Excess Noise from a Monolithic Tunable
Laser in Coherent Communication Systems, ” Optical Fiber Communication
Conference 2013, JW2A.46, March, 2013.
15. W. C. Ng, A. T.
Nguyen, S. Ayotte, C. S. Park, L. A. Rusch,
“Optically-filtered Laser Source Enabling Improved Phase Tracking in Coherent
Transmission Systems, ” European Conference and Exhibition on Optical
Communication, P.3.15, September, 2012.
16. W. C. Ng,
Q. Xu, K. Dolgaleva, S.
Doucet, D. Lemus, P. Chrétien, W. Zhu, L. A. Rusch,
L. Qian, J. S.
Aitchison, “Error-free 0.16pi-XPM-based All-Optical Wavelength Conversion in
a 1-cm-long AlGaAs waveguide, ” Proc. 2010 IEEE
Photonics Society Annual Meeting, pp. 54-55 , November, 2010.
17. K. Dolgaleva, W. C. Ng, L. Qian, and J. S. Aitchison, “Efficient Self-Phase Modulation, Cross-Phase Modulation, and Four-Wave Mixing in AlGaAs Waveguides, ” Frontier in Optics 2010, FTuC5, October, 2010.
University of Toronto, 2010 (in English)
Université Laval, 2011 – 2012 (in French)
Université Laval, 2013 (in French)
English, Chinese, French, German, Spanish
September 2017 –: Beginner
Spanish, Carleton University (SPAN1010, Margarita Alfonso)
Université Laval (2010-2011)
Microsystems, University of Ottawa, |
Conference 2014, San Francisco, USA
· Distinction (score: 138/150) in Grade 8 Piano (the Assocaiated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, 2001)
· Performance level (Associate in Recital in Solo Piano, the International Examinations Board of Trinity College London, 2003)
· Current instrument: Cello
© Copyright 2017, Wing-Chau Ng | Last updated: 21-09-2016