Professor of Economics
University of Toronto
150 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G7
Downtown Office: Room 208. Phone: (416) 978-5105
UTM Office: Innovation Complex, Room 3232. Phone: (905) 569-4719
Email: xianwen.shi [at] utoronto.ca
Auctions, Mechanism Design, Search and Matching
- Discriminatory Information Disclosure
(with Hao Li), American Economic Review 107(11), November 2017, 3363-3385.
- Optimal Voting Rules
(with Alex Gershkov and Benny Moldovanu), Review of Economic Studies 84(2), April 2017, 688-717.
Previously circulated under the title "Optimal Mechanism Design without Money."
- Becker Meets Ricardo: Multisector Matching with Communication and Cognitive Skills
(with Robert J. McCann, Aloysius Siow, and Ronald Wolthoff),
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization 31(4), November 2015, 690-720.
- Academic Wages and Pyramid Schemes: A
(with Alice Erlinger, Robert J. McCann, Aloysius Siow, and Ronald Wolthoff),
Journal of Functional Analysis 269(9), November 2015, 2709-2746.
- Level-k Reasoning in a Generalized Beauty Contest
(with Dmitry Shapiro and Artie Zillante), Games and Economic Behavior 86, July 2014, 308-329.
- Information Externalities and Intermediaries in Frictional Search Markets
(with Aloysius Siow), Canadian Journal of Economics 47(4), November 2014, 1131-1152.
Previously circulated under the title "Search Intermediaries."
- Specialization and Partisanship in Committee Search
(with Benny Moldovanu), Theoretical Economics 8(3), September 2013, 751-774.
Previously circulated under the title "Search Committees" which contains additional results.
- On the Equivalence of Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Implementation
(with Alex Gershkov, Jacob K. Goeree, Alexey Kushnir, and Benny Moldovanu), Econometrica 81(1), January 2013, 197-220.
It supersedes "Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Implementation Revisited" (with Alex Gershkov and Benny Moldovanu, 2011).
- Optimal Auctions with Information Acquisition
Games and Economic Behavior 74(2), March 2012, 666-686.
- Carrots and Sticks: Prizes and Punishments in Contests
(with Benny Moldovanu and Aner Sela), Economic Inquiry 50(2), April 2012, 453-462.
- Information Acquisition in Interdependent Value Auctions
(with Dirk Bergemann and Juuso Valimaki), Journal of the European Economic Association 7(1), March 2009, 61-89.
- Market Segmentation: The Role of Opaque Travel Agencies
(with Dmitry Shapiro), Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 14(4), Winter 2008, 803-837.
- Competing Auctions with Endogenous Quantities
(with Benny Moldovanu and Aner Sela), Journal of Economic Theory 141(1), July 2008, 1-27.
- Contests for Status
(with Benny Moldovanu and Aner Sela), Journal of Political Economy 115(2), April 2007, 338-363.
- Liquidity Pools, Risk Sharing, and Financial Contagion
(with Lawrence Saez), Journal of Financial Services Research 25(1), February 2004, 5-23.
Last Modified: July 2018