|Chandan R. Narayan Assistant Professor of Linguistics University of Toronto Scarborough and University of Toronto, St. George Center for French and Linguistics 1265 Military Trail, Rm. SW427G Toronto, Ontario M1C 1A4 Department of Linguistics Sidney Smith Hall, 4th Floor, 100 St. George Street Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G3 chandan dot narayan at utoronto dot ca|
|2006-2008||IGERT-NSF Postdoctoral fellow||IRCS||University of Pennsylvania|
|2006||Ph.D.||Linguistics||University of Michigan, Ann Arbor [dissertation]|
|2000||M.A.||Sanskrit||University of California, Berkeley|
|1996||A.B.||Sanskrit||University of California, Berkeley|
Grants & Awards:
Some publications, manuscripts, and presentations:
1) "Developmental perspectives on phonological typology and sound change," (2013), In Origins of Sound Patterns, ed. A.C.L.Yu (Oxford University Press).
2) "Pitch affects voice onset time (VOT): A cross-lingusitic study" ICA/ASA 2013 (with Mary Bowden): Why the high pitches of infant-directed speech might result in short VOTs in long-lag stops
3) "Linguistic effects on talker discrimination: The effect of semantic cohesion" Talk at LabPhon13, Stuttgart, Germany.(with Molly Babel)
4) "Modeling laryngeal contrasts in Korean infant- and adult-directed speech," Talk at Acoustics Week in Canada, 2011.(with Tae-Jin Yoon and Derek Denis)
5) "Phonetic category cues in adult-directed speech: Evidence from three languages with distinct vowel characteristics"(2012). Psicologia, 33, 2, 175-207.(with Ferran Pons, Laurel Fais, and Janet Werker)
6) Talk at the Cognitive Science Speakers Series, York University, February 2011.
7) "Intersections between language acquisition and historical linguistics" Talk at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, January 2011.
8) "The fine-grained phonetics of mothers' speech" Talk at University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, Speech and Language Pathology, October 2010.
9) "The interaction between acoustic salience and language experience in developmental speech perception: Evidence from nasal place discrimination" (2010) Developmental Science, 13, 3, 407-420 (with Janet Werker and Pam Beddor)
10) "What language development in infants tells us about sound systems and change" Talk at University of Chicago, Linguistics, February 2010.
11) "Developmental perspectives on typology and sound change: Insights from infant speech perception and infant directed speech" Talk at SUNY-Buffalo, Linguistics, March 2009.
12) "The acoustics of [voice] in infant-directed speech and implications for phonological learning" Presented at the BUCLD33, November 1, 2008.
13) "Word-initial [voice] in infant- and adult-directed speech: Voice onset time and fundamental frequency" (under review)
14) "Infant-directed speech, developmental speech perception and a window of opportunity for sound change" at the Department of Linguistics, Swarthmore College (April 2008)
15) "What babies teach us about language: The intersections of infant speech perception, phonological typology, and historical phonology," Department of Linguistics, University of Toronto (February 2008)
16) "The microprosody of [voice] in infant- and adult-directed speech" (with Kyle Gorman and Dan Swingley) at the symposium "Attention to cues and phonological categorization" (LSA 2008, Chicago)
17) "The acoustic-perceptual salience of nasal place contrasts" (2008) Journal of Phonetics, 36, (1), 191-217
18) "Applying perceptual methods to the study of phonetic variation and sound change," (2007, with Pam Beddor and Anthony Brasher), In Experimental Approaches to Phonology, eds. M.J. Solé, P.S. Beddor, and M. Ohala (Oxford University Press)
Fall 2008 - UTSC
Winter 2009 - UTStG & UTSC
Summer 2009 - UTStG
Summer 2010 - UTStG
Fall 2010 - UTSC
Music | BibTeX | Multilevel modeling at Penn