Faculty of Forestry,
Biocomposites and Biomaterials Processing (CBBP) Excellence in
research leading to green future through sustainable development
Centre for Biocomposites and Biomaterials Processing (CBBP)
Excellence in research leading to green future through sustainable development
SELECTED RESEARCH AREAS
PULP & PAPER BIOREFINERY
· Protein recovery from paper mill secondary effluent sludge and its use as wood adhesive
thesis – NSERC and Abitibi Bowater Industries,
· Thermodynamic analysis of phenolic and protein polymer interactions on cellulose substrate
and deducing bonding mechanism through synergy model (PhD thesis)
THEREMOPLASTC COMPOSITE PROTOTYPE DEVELOPMENT
· Process optimizing and development of thermoplastic composite prototypes through injection,
compression and thermoforming techniques on pilot-scale extruders.
· Computational modeling of cellulose-induced biocomposite structures
BIOCOMPOSITES DURABILITY EVALUATION
A state-of-art facility comprising walk-in weathering chamber (-30 to 85oC, 20 to 95 %RH),
indigenously designed experimental set-up (Data Acquisition System and Linear Displacement Transducers)
to evaluate creep behaviour of composite products under UV and accelerated weather system
(RADIOMETER VLX 3X, MINOLTA SPECTROMETER CM-2002).
Commercial production and use of non-wood paper in the industrialized world.
Thanks to continued research in the area of environmental friendly non-wood pulping
and paper making, the trend
is now shifting to
to use tree –free paper products on commercial levels; enabling sustainable management/
conservation of depleting forest resources and ensuring healthy rural economy.
VALUE ADDED UTILIZATION OF FOREST-BASED RESIDUAL BIOMASS
High yield extraction of Extracellular Polymeric Substances (EPS) from paper mill sludge
as a precursor of adhesion formulation
PULP AND PAPER SURFACE SCIENCE AND EFFLUENT TREATMENT
Internal and surface sizing, coating, print density, and performance evaluation of pulp and paper
· Proprietary SMA Imide Quartenery Salt and Enzymatic Starch formulations
· HST, air permeability, roughness, and print density profiling
· Multiple component product testing on self-calibrated Kajaani PaperLab® (Metso Automation)
CELLULOSE NANOTECHNOLOGY; Extraction of NanoCellulose Fibres and Applications
Low energy and high yield recovery of nanocellulose fibres from a variety of virgin
agro-forest resources and aquatic waste streams of process industries.
· Hybrid enzymatic, bio-chemical, and mechanical fibrillation technology.
· Multipurpose applications of cellulosic nano-entities ;
- Nanocellulose-induced acrylic substrate for light-weight and high-strength structural components
- Flexible and heat-resistant OLED display systems
- Rheology-modifiers for food, oil exploration and coating applications